I am by no means an expert nor a counselor in giving marital advice. Rather I am only giving you my outlook based on my experiences on what I’ve learned since being married for almost nine years. I would like to share with you our own struggles between my husband and me.
These are the ways we can all do to improve our marriage, not necessarily in order.
- Communication – I think we can all agree, communication is important to have a healthy relationship. However, my husband and I tend to argue because we often misunderstood each other and we both don’t have good listening skills. Listening is part of communication. We both like to talk at the same time without giving the other a person a chance to talk.
- Commitment – Sticking it out even in the tough times. Long-term commitment is crucial to stay in a marriage. There are days that you just want to pack-up your bag and leave. But commitment is being willing to stay.
- Compromise – Find a commonality that you both enjoy doing.
- Trust – When there’s jealousy mistrust will evident in any marriages. I had to break this habit of thinking negatively towards my husband and accusingly telling him that he is cheating even though I have no tangible evidence.
- Respect is the language of men.
- Love is the language of women.
"Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband." -Ephesians 5:33