Psalm 51:16-17, “For you do not desire sacrifice or else I would give it. You do not delight in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken, and a contrite heart.”
Contrite is repentance or penitence at heart. Turning away from our sinful ways.
How do we disobey God?
- We forsake God. Jeremiah 2:13, “They have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters.” Jesus is the fountain of life as He introduced himself to the Samaritan woman at the well. Jesus said, “But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up to everlasting life.” – John 4:14
- We follow idols. “That they have gone far from Me and have followed idols.” – Jeremiah 2:5 Abraham was told by God to put away the foreign gods among you. – Genesis 35:2
- Hardened heart. Jeremiah 4:3, “Break up your follow ground and do not sow among thorns circumcise yourselves to the Lord and take away the foreskins of your hearts. Circumcision is removing excess skin from a male private part. It is a covenant between Abraham and God as in Genesis 17:9-10 states, “God commanded Abraham to circumcise every male child.” But thankfully, we no longer keep the tradition of circumcision. “For us through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything but faith working through love.” – Galatians 5:1-6
Jesus fulfilled the law. - Matthew 5:17
There were some Jews who rejected the gospel that the gospel was spread and shared to the Gentiles to the none Jew for in Romans 11:25, “For I do not desire brethren that you should be ignorant of this mystery lest you be wise in your own opinion that the blindness in part has happened until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in.” And you He made alive who were dead in trespasses and sins in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience.” – Ephesians 2:1-9
What reap what we sow
According to Galatians 6:7, “Do not be deceived God is not mocked for whatever a man sows that he will also reap. For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption. But he sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.”
Consequences to Obedience & Disobedience
- “If you are willing and obedient you shall eat the good of the land but if you refuse and rebel you shall be devoured by the sword.” – Isaiah 1:19
- “He will love you and bless you and multiply you. He will also bless the fruit of your womb and the fruit of your land, your grain, and your new wine and your oil, the increase of your cattle and the offspring of your flock.” -Deuteronomy 6:13
- “Obey My voice and I will be your God and you shall be My people. Walk-in all My ways that I have commanded you that it may be well with you.” – Jeremiah 7:23
“He will love you and bless you and multiply you. He will also bless the fruit of your womb and the fruit of your land, your grain, and your new wine and your oil, the increase of your cattle and the offspring of your flock.”– Deuteronomy 6:13
We are forwarned to not serve other gods and worship them as it states in Deuteronomy 11:16, “Take heed to yourselves lest your heart be deceived and you turn aside and serve other gods and worship them.”